Search This Blog

Sunday, 10 May 2015

12551077

Book: Stealing Parker, Miranda Kenneally
Series: Hundred Oaks series #2
Publisher: Sourcebook Fire
Release Date: October 1st, 2012

Rating: 4 stars

This book, and Catching Jordan, really makes me wish I had some guy friends. They just seem better. When girls are pissed at you they’ll spread nasty rumours and stop talking to you. When guys are pissed at you, they’ll straight up tell you. No bullshit. Plus, they seem so loyal and will protect your honour whenever it seems threatened.

Stealing Parker is about a girl who is lost. When Parker’s mother admits she’s a lesbian and runs off with her new lover, Parker’s world is rocked apart. Her church completely judge and shame her and her father and brother (which doesn’t seem very Christian to me), and all her friends ditch her as they’re afraid of being around someone whose relative is gay. The only one is stands by her is her (guy) friend, Drew (which furthers my thesis why guys are better friends than girls).

When this happens, Parker decides to make some changes. She loses weight, quits softball, stops bothering with people who annoy her and decides why kiss just one boy when you can have a new one every night?

I really enjoyed this book, as well as Parker’s character. She does make some stupid decisions, but doesn’t everyone at some point? And when you’re still trying to find yourself, you’re going to make some mistakes along the way. When Parker falls for the head coach of the baseball team she’s managing, things get super complicated super fast.

There was admittedly a lot of religion in this book which at first I wasn’t sure about, but Kenneally did a great job of not sounding preachy to the reader, but just made it seem like something that was part of Parker’s life. While I didn’t believe in everything she was saying, I definitely did believe that religion was part of who she was and it totally added depth to the book.

I also loved that we got a snippet of some of the other characters, including Jordan and Sam Henry! I loved seeing the two of them from someone else’s eyes and seeing that they were really happy and in love.

We get a lot of growth from Parker throughout the book, and it seemed so real and I couldn’t help but cheer as she realised not to give a flying f*ck what anyone thinks and just do what she wants.

I loved Parker’s growing friendship with Will (aka Corndog). It just seemed so natural and lovely.


I would definitely recommend this book to read, and its predecessor, Catching Jordan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x