Search This Blog

Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1)

Book: Poison Princess, Krelsey Cole
Series: The Arcana Chronicles, #1
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: October 2nd, 2012

Rating: 2 stars

I got this book free as a preview on my Kindle with just the first 17 chapters inside. I felt this was perfect as it gave me a good chance to decide whether this book would be worth buying and investing into.

Sadly, I feel that this book only gives off a “meh” feeling.

The beginning of the story is set in the future, after an apocalypse that wiped out the majority of humankind and all types of plant-life. Arthur lives in a house decorated to look like a kindly old lady’s, but it’s anything but. He tricks young girls into his home, drugs them with delicious hot chocolate, and then locks them up in his basement as subjects to test out his homemade drugs. We meet him as he invites another young girl into his home, called Evie. As he drugs Evie with the hot chocolate, he asks her to tell her version of what happened just before the apocalypse.

And so we get a bewitching tale of Evie’s charmed life before the world ended; where she was a popular girl with a loyal best friend, an attractive boyfriend and anything she could ever want at her fingertips. The only problem? Evie has been suffering from these visions which make her, and her mother, believe she’s crazy. After a stint in an insane asylum, Evie tries to ignore these visions and appear normal to those around her. But Evie is far from normal; no, she’s the protagonist, so of course she has to have special powers nobody else has. Only one other person suspects of Evie’s specialness, but he’s a rough kid from the wrong-side-of-the-bayou – Jack Deveaux. However, the two clash heads any time they’re remotely near each other, and when Evie has no choice but to turn to him for help, she fears if she can even trust him.

And then, my preview ended. I have no idea what happens after Evie has to turn to Jack for help, and frankly, I don’t care. This series doesn’t seem special in any particular way and I definitely don’t feel any desire to buy the full book and rest of the series to find out.


Hell, if you’re into southern rich girls with unique abilities for seeing visions of the future, go right ahead and buy it. As for me, I'm going to read what I find infinitely more interesting: vampires!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x