Search This Blog

Monday, 11 May 2015

4214

Book: Life of Pi, Yann Martel
Series: N/A
Publisher: Seal Books
Release Date: August 29th, 2006

Rating: 4 stars


The first time I saw anything to do with Life of Pi was the movie poster, which only showed a boy in a lifeboat with a tiger. First thought: “What the hell is this movie about?” then saw another one; this time said boy with hundreds of meerkats. Again: “What the hell is this movie about?” I HAD to know. I planned on seeing the movie as soon as I could. Now, don’t judge me; I thought it was a competition, like The Hunger Games kinda thing. Then I go into a bookshop, see the book and decide to read the book before I see the movie to find out exactly what it’s about.

And now that I’ve read it, I can only shake my head in awe and go “wow.” I was definitely not expecting that when I first bought the book. I hadn’t any huge expectations to be honest, because I hadn’t a clue what it was about.

Life of Pi is basically a fictional autobiography about a 16-year-old Indian boy named Pi who becomes the lone survivor of a shipwreck, along with a Bengal Tiger called Richard Parker. It’s a story of courage and belief. It’s a book that will, according to Pi “make you believe in God”. That wasn’t really the case for me, as I’m still very iffy on the whole God thing, but it did make me believe in believing. That as long as you have the willpower to survive, and make use of what you have, anyone can survive 227 days lost at sea. Even with a tiger. 

I will admit, it’s a slow book. The first quarter of the book just describes Pi growing up: how he got his nickname, how he ended up having three different religions, and giving his readers random facts about animals and zoos (as he lived in one). But then he’s immigrating to Canada, and there’s a storm, and the ship sinks, and suddenly he’s all alone in the middle of nowhere. This is when the story begins. But even then the story is a little slow-going; some chapters just explaining how he caught a fish.

But once you get passed the slow parts, this is a book that will never leave your mind and can always be a topic of conversation. Because of this book, I think that if I ever did get lost at sea, I'd be able to survive 228 days at sea, with this book as my manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x