Search This Blog

Monday, 11 May 2015

51738

Book: Just Listen, Sarah Dessen
Series: N/A

Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: 2006

Rating: 4 stars

Last year, Annabel was "the girl who has everything" — at least that's the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf's Department Store.
This year, she's the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong.
Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling. With Owen's help, maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends.

My Thoughts
I started reading this book as I'd read Along for the Ride over the summer and was looking for another light read.
When I'd read her other book, I thought it was all right, but not fantastic. And I'd read the blurb and seen some quick reviews about Just Listen so thought I'd give it a go. 


How many white lies do you tell in a day? And why do you feel you need to lie to your friends, your family? Why say "I'm fine" when you’re really breaking apart inside? This is what this book addresses.

Annabel is a girl who's stuck in the middle. She has a terrible secret which she desperately needs to tell, but she doesn't know how to. When her sister gets anorexic, Annabel needs to be the strong one. She needs to continue doing something she's beginning to despise to keep her mother happy and to keep from falling apart. But Annabel realises that she is the one that is threatening to fall apart.

When something terrible happens, she becomes an outcast at school. She's the hot topic among everyone around her, and those she thought she could trust are the ones running the rumour mill. 

But when Annabel starts talking to Owen, a music-obsessed, completely honest outcast like herself, Annabel begins to see the light. “Don't think or judge, just listen.” And Owen slowly but surely helps Annabel confronts her fears and face that light, holding her hand along the way. 

This is a very sweet, very light read. If you're looking for something to read that isn't part of a series and doesn't have any complicated plot or characters, this is the book to read. However I would recommend it to a younger age, maybe 13-14, as I did find that it was a little too young for me, but again, it was something I still enjoyed
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x