Search This Blog

Saturday, 9 May 2015

11735983

Book: Insurgent, Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent series #2
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date May 1st 2012

Rating: 4 stars

(Anyone who’s reading this review should’ve already read Divergent so there will be spoilers of that book in this review.)

Insurgent picks up directly after Divergent left off – Tris and Tobias, Marcus and Peter on a train on the run right after Jeanine Matthews simulated the majority of Dauntless to kill Abnegation. With their faction split in half between the loyal and the traitorous Dauntless, Tris and Tobias find themselves at the Amity compound for safe-keeping, where they will have to decide which faction they truly belong in, if they belong in one at all.

We get a lot of character development from our characters in this book. Tris is still reeling over the death of her parents as well as Will (whom she still hasn’t told Tobias about) and struggles to even just pick up a gun. Suddenly she doesn’t find her life worth living anymore and gets herself into some pretty reckless situations. While I found this part of the novel incredibly hard to read and I wanted to cry for what Tris was going through, I also had to admit that Roth did an excellent job of portraying the utter grief of losing both parents at once, and at such a young age. (Remember, Tris is only 16!) She starts keeping things from her friends, and more notably, Tobias.

While those two were suitably all loved up at the end of Divergent, they go through some serious sh*t in this book. With the return of a relative of Tobias whom Tris thought was dead to wanting to align with someone he hates, they have a *few* disagreements and it hurt me to have to read it. Instead of using their grief to get closer to each other, they end up pushing each other apart and I just wanted to throttle them for doing so! It was obvious they loved each other so much and to see them go through so much turmoil and not lean on each other for support was heart-breaking.

Besides their drama, there was a lot of drama surrounding the actual plot of the book. There was so much happening in this book I had to go back and reread some sections just to try and understand it. While I enjoyed the action scenes and that ending, I was still scratching my head at some parts. Hopefully all the confusion over the many plot points will get clearer in the final book.

When it comes to the characters themselves, I can’t say I love them or that I fangirl over them when I read. I feel like Tris, while a good solid female lead, isn’t a completely original character. She reminds me a lot of Katniss from the Hunger Games trilogy, except Katniss is more likable. Tris seems too standoffish to me and many times I felt she was being too selfish in some of the decisions she makes. But that’s just my opinion, and I’m sure many people love her despite that; however I’ve got many favourite heroines who have faced major difficulties like Tris has but still remain likable in the reader’s eyes. I’m not going to place Tris on my favourite heroine’s shelf any time soon.

Tobias, however, is drool-worthy. We all know he’s hot (Theo James!!!) but it’s obvious he loves Tris so much and just wants to help her get past her grief, and even though she keeps pushing him away, he’ll push back, just to get through to her. He’s an awesome love interest and character, who gets major growth in this book when it comes to his family and what he’s willing to fight for. I can’t wait to see him in the final book (and read from his POV in those novellas!)

All in all, this was a very entertaining book and I totally get why this series is so popular. I can’t wait to find out what happens with these characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x