Search This Blog

Monday, 11 May 2015

2767052

Book: The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
Series: The Hunger Games #1
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: September 14th 2008

Rating: 4 stars

I didn’t read The Hunger Games when it first came out as I didn’t want to get caught up in all the hype. Of course, my sister did and she read all three books really fast and raved about them, and pretty much forced me to read them. I suppose because my sister made them sound so incredible, I was expecting a phenomenal book series that would prove all other books inconsequential by comparison. So of course when you’re expecting something to be that good, it almost never is. I did find the books good, but not as fantastic as I was expecting.

A year and a half later I’m in between books so decide to re-read The Hunger Games. Just finished the first book and I can finally see what my sister was talking about! This book was so good. It had me glued to the page and made me wish I could go home faster so I could read more.

Its set in a North America a long way in the future, when the country, now called Panem, is broken up into twelve Districts and ruled unfairly by The Capitol. When the Districts tried to rebel seventy four years ago (and failed), the Capitol decided to create “The Hunger Games” as punishment for trying to rebel. It is a reality TV show where the twelve Districts are forced to choose one boy and one girl to send into the arena, where they will ultimately fight to the death for the entertainment of the people of Panem.

When Katniss volunteers to go in place of her sister, she has no idea that her life is about to change forever.

Katniss Everdeen officially became one of my favourite female heroines (alongside Rose Hathaway, Katy Swartz and Sydney Sage) after this book. She’s just so strong-willed, brave and courageous, yet she knows when to be scared and overwhelmed as well. She’ll protect her family as best she can; even when she knows best isn’t good enough.

While I won’t say it was as phenomenal as my sister made it out to be, it’s still fantastic and definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x