Search This Blog

Monday, 11 May 2015

22918050

Book: The Heir, Kiera Cass,
Series: The Selection Series, #4
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: May 5th, 2015

Rating: 4 stars

This series was supposed to be a trilogy. The One ended so perfectly that there was a part of me fearful to read this book. How could Kiera change it up to make it different from the first three books? Would it seem like a pointless addition to the series?

After finishing this book, I am a little conflicted. First off, I have to applaud Kiera for making Eadlyn, our heroine, so completely different from America. I was afraid I would be reading clones which would definitely make me lose respect for this series, but nope! Eadlyn is completely her own, which I loved.

She’s a princess, the first born of America and Maxon, and the first female heir to the throne. Normally they send royal daughters to be married off to a prince of another nation, but Maxon made a lot of changes during his reign as king, some of them including getting rid of the castes as well as procuring Eadlyn as the first ever queen.
Eadlyn’s always known the job that she was born to do. She’s been training with her father ever since she was 13, learning the ropes so she can be the greatest leader she can possibly be. However, this wasn’t without its problems. Due to being the first queen, all eyes are constantly on our princess, waiting for her to screw up as not many people have much faith in her. So Eadlyn keeps everyone at a distance, never showing her true feelings to any situation. And this backfires on her when she enters into the Selection, and she finds it exceedingly difficult to not only think about finding a husband, but getting close enough to one to allow into her heart.

I’ll be honest. When I first met Eadlyn, I didn’t like her. She seemed incredibly spoiled, vain, and let the power that she was future queen get to her head. But by taking part in the Selection, she opens herself up, so miniscule you don’t even notice it at first. She begins to learn more about herself and realise that just because she’s going to be queen doesn’t mean she has to be closed off from everybody.  I think we’re going to get even more growth from her in the coming books and I'm really looking forward to it.

“I was Eadlyn Schreave. No one was more powerful than me.”
“I’m smart and beautiful and strong. I don’t need to be rescued.”
"You can be brave and still be feminine. You can lead and still love flowers. Most importantly, you can be queen and still be a bride."

We meet plenty of other characters in this book, such as Eadlyn’s brothers who obviously care so much for her and they’re the only boys Eadlyn will allow enter her heart. I adored her relationship with her twin, Ahren; it reminded me so much of my relationship with my brother.  They were two halves of one soul, unable to function without the other. America and Maxon return, just as loved up as ever which was fantastic to see.

We also meet plenty of boys that enter the Selection and while I don’t think it was incredibly clear who the winner will be, I think Kiera’s going to make it different than America and Maxon’s love story, which I think is great. Eadlyn is a lot more independent than America was and she’ll need a partner that will suit her needs. I don’t have a favourite yet, but I think I will by the next book!

This addition to the series, while not really needed, is welcome and has definitely earned its place among the first three books. It’s interesting to me as in the first book; we knew that America was eventually going to end up with Maxon. However, in this book, there is really no way to tell who has earned a place in Eadlyn’s heart, or if she’ll end up sending them all home.


Kiera Cass has won again with her instalment to her beloved Selection series, and I am impatiently waiting the next addition to Eadlyn’s story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x