Search This Blog

Friday, 8 May 2015

9833184

Book: The Fiery Heart, Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines Series, #4
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: November 19th 2013

Rating: 5 stars

I got this book back when it first came out in November, but I was really busy with assignments in college and knew if I started reading it I wouldn’t get any other work done, so I’ve been able to hold off until Christmas, when I then reread the entire series to refresh my memory. And now that I’ve read all four books… oh my God.  This book is incredible. As they all are, really. There’s enough action and suspense in the plot to keep me glued to the page, and seeing Sydney and Adrian’s relationship blossom made for avid reading too.

After the amount of sexual tension they went through in TIS, I’m so glad Sydrian finally get to be a couple in the book. I also loved hearing Adrian’s point of view, where we get a glimpse into how much he really does care for Sydney and getting to see her though his eyes. We also get a glimpse of what it’s like to actually have spirit, and the consequences that come along with it. We did kind of see it through Rose’s eyes in the Vampire Academy books, but not as a character that actually experiences it head-on like Adrian does. He just made my heart break; he felt spirit was the only thing he could really contribute and be good at, yet the darkness that came with using spirit was creeping up and slowly getting the better of him. Mead described it brilliantly, and I actually felt pain along with what Sydney and Adrian must’ve been going through to deal with that. <spoiler alert> And, like Sydney, I’m so proud of Adrian for taking that step to take the pills to help him control spirit sensibly without resorting to alcohol! <spoiler alert/>

<spoiler alert>I was so afraid the entire book that Sydney and Adrian would get discovered and Sydney would get taken to re-education because all their careful planning wasn’t enough. And then her sister (that disloyal bitch) sold her out! My heart was pounding the entire time during that chapter - it just goes to show how fantastic Mead’s writing is the way she’s able to get her readers completely engrossed and invested in her characters that you feel their pain and terror just as much as if it were happening to you and not just in a book. I felt like that during chapter 21, when I knew what was going to inevitably happen but poor Sydney was totally clueless. <spoiler alert/>

And I’m so proud of Sydney for finally embracing her magical abilities and actually joining Ms Terwilliger’s coven! She no longer fears “unnatural” magic and embraces it like it was something she was doing her entire life. While that (and Adrian) was her main problem in TIS and TGL, her biggest problem in this book is hiding all her secrets from her sister so she won’t get figured out. She’s become such a likable character and I couldn’t help but cheer along whenever she made a discovery and began thinking for herself rather than what the Alchemists tell her. She’s grown so much, and I really admire her for that.

We get to meet other characters from the VA series in this book like Rose, Dimitri, Lissa, Christian and even Sonya, which I enjoyed as although I know they aren’t the main characters in this series, it’s still nice to see them from a different point of view and to see how they’re getting on since the VA series ended.

Many other characters’ relationships get taken to the next level, and I know that despite the long wait, Silver Shadows will be just as emotionally powerful as its predecessors.


Team Sydrian forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x