Search This Blog

Friday, 8 May 2015

10848294


Book: Abandon, Meg Cabot
Series: Abandon Trilogy #1
Publisher: Point
Release Date: April 26th 2011

Rating: 4 stars

Abondon is the first in a trilogy series by American author Meg Cabot. She’s probably most famous for writing the Princess Diaries which most people know as the two movies Disney created.
Unlike the Princess Diaries, Abondon is a dark, thrilling story depicting from the mythical story of Hades kidnapping Persephone and keeping her against her will down in the Underworld.

My Thoughts
I enjoyed this book so much, I’ve read it twice.  I like Meg Cabot, and although I couldn’t really get into the Princess Diaries, I could really get into this. From the way she was able to make the really old myth of Hades and Persephone into a modern day romance, to the way she created the relationship between John and Pierce, I really enjoyed it.

Pierce
Honestly, I couldn’t really connect with Pierce as a character. I liked how she always wanted to protect her friends and family from evil, (even though John always had to come help) but I didn’t like the way she talked to John whenever they spoke. She always seemed to say the wrong thing, which I blame mainly because she was so affected by him physically, and how whenever he looked at her, it wasn’t so much a look than it was a glare. The only part of her I did like was how she was able to stand up for herself toward the end of the book.

John
John is just another hot, male lead in a book I’ve fallen in love with. He’s so fiercely protective of Pierce but won’t let her know how he feels whenever they’re together, so he puts on this mask like he hates her.  But when that mask is finally taken down we see just how much he cares for her. Unlike some male leads, John is the only one who would literally kill someone to protect the girl he loves (which he’s done several times).


John & Pierce
You could compare John and Pierce’s relationship with Edward and Bella (I know). John, like Edward, is really protective of the girl he loves and would go so far as to spy on her to make sure she was okay (like when Edward watches Bella sleep – although that could be interpreted as major creepy). Pierce, like Bella, is very self-conscious and at first feels John hates her and that she cares more for him than he does for her. And finally, probably the biggest comparison of all, both Pierce and Bella fall in love with someone who isn’t human. But despite the weird amount of similarities between both books, both are still widely different and don’t think that they are in any way alike.  Edward was always against Bella becoming a vampire. He never wanted to take her down and live forever in the Underworld.

Final Thoughts

This book was so good I finished it really quickly. If I had one criticism it would be that it’s too short. It would be really easy to finish it in one day if you had nothing else to do. Like on a boring summer afternoon.  However it was still intriguing and the cliffhanger at the end definitely made me excited to read the sequel, typically named Underworld.  I would recommend it to any fans of Meg Cabot and any that are into mythology or fantasy-romance type novels like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x